It’s grilling season! Enjoy these healthy recipes for the grill.
Take a break from the standard hot dogs and hamburgers and go for these healthier choices that burst with flavor. You can create delicious meals with grilled meats, vegetables and fruits.
Tip: Choose lean meats, such as chicken, fish and ground turkey. If you’re making delicate seafood, wrap it in foil packets to help keep its shape.
Grilled Asian Salmon (serves 4)
- In a bowl, combine:
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 finely chopped scallions
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon grated ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut two 3-inch-long slits into the skin side of four salmon fillets. Slice halfway through the fillets.
- Spoon the cilantro mixture on the salmon into the slits. Season the fillets with salt and pepper.
- In a new bowl, combine:
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons honey
- Place the salmon fillets skin-side up on a medium-high grill for four minutes.
- Turn the fillets over. Brush them with the lime mixture and grill for another three minutes.
Tip: To prevent sticking while grilling, coat your veggies with light oil.
Grilled Carrots with Avocado (serves 4)
- In a bowl, create a marinade of:
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 red chili, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons grated ginger
- Scrub 10 carrots and slice them in half lengthwise. Place them on a baking sheet and coat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt.
- Grill the carrots for 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until they’re tender and lightly charred.
- Add the carrots to the marinade and toss to coat.
- Serve with two avocados, sliced or cubed.
Tip: Try grilling firm fruits, such as apples, bananas and pineapple directly on the grill. Or, place them in foil packets for a steaming effect.
Berrylicious Grilled Plums (serves 4 to 8)
- In a large bowl, combine:
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons chopped ginger
3 tablespoons sugar or honey
- Cut four plums in half and remove the pits. Add the plums to the mixture and coat them.
- On a 12-inch sheet of foil, place the plums cut-side up. Toss one cup of raspberries or blackberries on top.
- Fold up and close the foil packet. Grill it on medium-high heat for 15 minutes, or until the plums are tender and the berries are juicy.
- Serve with ice cream or yogurt.
Want more healthy recipes? Check out our suggestions for watermelon as well as French fries.