An apple a day is only the start.
You’ve likely heard the expression “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” But does an apple a day keep extra pounds away as well? There are many fruits available in your local grocery that contribute to weight loss. They include healthy vitamins and antioxidants, and they’re easy to identify – they are all various shades of red! Lucky for those of us trying to manage our waistlines — weight loss is one of the largest benefits of red fruits.
Research summarized in the publication “Eat This, Not That” found that fruits rich in flavonoids called anthocyanins – compounds that give them their red or purple color – boast special properties for managing weight. If you’re looking for some ways to keep your weight in line, consider these options when strolling through the produce aisle:
Benefits of red fruits
- Berries like raspberries, strawberries and blueberries are packed with powerful natural chemicals that can help you lose weight, and even stop fat from forming.
- Eating half a ruby red grapefruit before meals may help reduce belly fat and lower cholesterol levels. A study found that people who ate grapefruit with every meal saw their waists shrink by up to an inch.
- Tart cherries benefit heart health as well as body weight. A study found that obese rats fed antioxidant-rich tart cherries showed a 9 percent belly fat reduction over rats fed a more traditional diet.
- Watermelon may have a bad rep for being high in sugar, but it has some impressive health benefits. Research found that eating watermelon may improve lipid profiles and lower fat accumulation.
- Research has shown that stone fruits with pits like peaches, plums and nectarines are among the lowest in fructose or fruit sugar.
Oh, and back to those apples mentioned earlier. Is any specific type better for helping you lose weight than others?
Apples are one of the very best fruit-sources of fiber, which studies have proven to be integral to reducing belly fat. One study found that the Pink Lady variety had the highest level of antioxidant flavonoids among all apples.
Next time you’re choosing a fruit for a snack or perhaps to add to an easy salad recipe, remember the benefits of red fruits. In addition to their weight loss benefits, you’ll receive loads of vitamins and nutrients to energize you through your day. If you have any questions about making a change to your diet, or you’d like to speak to a doctor to learn more, visit mercy.com or call 513-952-5000.