Lima, Ohio, is located in Allen County. It’s over an hour away from Columbus. Lima is home to Ohio State University – Lima and also known as the hometown of the fictional hit television show, “Glee.” It’s near the Great Lakes and includes a medley of parks, beaches, campgrounds and fairgrounds. There’s plenty of outdoor activities in Lima to experience all year round.
Fairs in Lima
The Allen County Fair has year-round family activities and events, including its popular summertime Allen County Fair. Here are highlights at the fairgrounds:
- Concerts: The spacious fairgrounds are home to live bands and concerts year-round.
- Entertainment: You’ll find all types of entertaining going on at the summer fair, from free laser tag to flying trapeze artists.
- Shows: From dog rallies and showmanship shows to Pig Mania and gun shows, there’s more than enough fairground fun throughout the year.
- Camping: There’s plenty of camping spots on the fairgrounds during special events and rallies. Camping is only allowed during an event. You’ll need to register.
- Motorsports: Have a blast at the Demolition Derby viewing motorcycle racing or KOI Drag Racing on the grounds. There are also displays of the latest buggies, modified trucks, semis and all types of trucks
The Allen County Fairgrounds is one of Ohio’s busiest fairgrounds. It’s easy to find an event scheduled outdoors.
Lima’s Heritage Park is located on the piece of land that was Ohio’s last Shawnee Indian reservation. The mature landmark includes hiking and biking trails and picnic areas in a forest of old hickories and oak trees.
Ottawa Metro Park
Lima’s Ottawa Metro Park is nearly 300 acres filled with outdoor recreational areas. Enjoy fishing and boating on the 89-acre Lima Lake reservoir. You can swim at the park’s unique beach. The beach features a water slide, surf slide, mermaid fountain and Family Fun Days throughout the summer. There’s overnight RV camping at the park, too.
Horseback riding in Marmon Valley
About an hour away from Lima, take advantage of horseback riding at Marmon Valley. There are plenty of well-trained horses and ponies for guests of all ages. Year round events at Marmon Valley include family retreats, Country Christmas rides, Summer Fun Days and other events. Marmon Valley is more than horseback riding. It’s a farm experience including picnics, cookouts, fire rings and rentable bunkhouses. The staff also can customize a unique weekend camp event for families.
More kid-friendly events in Lima
Lima and the immediate surrounding area can keep your family busy. There are more great places to visit, including:
- Sports park: Kids get a kick out of the mini golf courses, bumper boats and go kart track.
- Motorsports park: Car and racing buffs love Limaland Motorsports Park. Every week there’s something new, especially on Friday nights when there’s racing excitement in the air.
- Natural wonders: Less than an hour away from Lima, you’ll find Ohio Caverns. the 35-acre park’s caverns are set deep underground. The cavern walls and ceilings are filled with magical and sparkling stalactite and stalagmite mineral formations.
There’s so much to do outdoors in Lima. Mercy Health is bringing change and high-quality healthcare to our communities, including Lima. Call 513-952-5000 to make an appointment with a primary care physician or specialist today.
Interested in more stories like this? Our Summer Survival Guide is full of healthy living tips to start your summer right. Learn more here.