Happy Earth Day! This celebration is a time to reflect on all that God has bestowed upon us through abundant gifts from the earth.
This year, we are especially grateful for the warmth of sunshine that allows us to spend time outside with our families. We are also thankful for the beauty of spring in bloom that brings hope and newness to our days.
At Mercy Health, we also appreciate and care deeply for creation. Our new commitment plan and operational design serves as the foundation for our current and future sustainability efforts. These guiding principles ensure consistent practices and measurable progress across our entire ministry to address how we are caring for the environment.
Currently we are:
- Utilizing natural resources that are sustainable and renewable as well as products that are environmentally responsible.
- Reducing or eliminating waste, improving energy efficiency as well as conservation across our operations by utilizing environmentally safe and sustainable energy sources.
- Attending to food chain sustainability within our facilities, including local sourcing of food and disposal practices that are environmentally friendly, as well as promoting access to healthy diets.
- Maintaining safe, healthy work environments for our team members by eliminating or minimizing the use of substances that cause environmental damage or health/safety hazards.
- Tracking, evaluating and reporting on our environmental policy practices and outcomes.
A few of our current sustainability efforts include composting, impact investing, solar panels and initiatives with design and construction.
What will you do today to show your appreciation for God’s abundant gifts of the earth?
Here are a few ideas Earth Day celebration ideas to get you started:
- Take a walk in your neighborhood and collect any litter you see. For safety, use plastic gloves and a bag.
- Enjoy a plant-based diet for the day. Consuming less meat is helpful for the environment.
- Plant a vegetable or herb garden. It doesn’t have to be anything large, simply a small planter on a patio or a flat plot of land in your back yard will work.
- Plant flowers in your yard. You’ll enjoy their beauty for months to come and you’ll provide a much-needed habitat for our earth’s bees.
- Spend time getting closer to God through nature. Take a walk outside alone or with your family. Be present and notice all the details along your path. Be sure to stay hydrated during your stroll by drinking water from a reusable water bottle.
Learn more about the health care services we offer at Mercy Health.